The famous japanese video game has finally completed 30 years since its release.
- Sonic celebrates its 30th Anniversary; a huge celebration for the completion of 30 years of the legendary game.
- Many in-game events, new Merchandise, Comics, Animation, and a Symphony Video released to remark the celebration.
The game was originally released in 1991 in order to compete with Nintendo’s Mario. It became one of the leading games ever since. The game was released for Sega Genesis, a console designed by Sega. After the massive success of Sonic’s first game, Sega continued on developing even more.
Sega also released Sonic’s first ever 3D game, Sonic Adventure in the year 1998. Later on, Sega decided to quit the console market and shift into third-party development in the year 2001 and started making games for Xbox, Nintendo, and PlayStation.
The Franchise not only develops games, but a lot of other entertainment attractions such as animations, printed media, merchandise and a 2020 featured film as well.
The franchise is famous for its numerous character compositions with Sonic, a blue hedgehog as the hero, while a mad scientist, Doctor Eggman as the villain.
The game is a racing-type game. It consists of Sonic running at a super speed which is to be controlled by us. It navigates through the path collecting golden rings, jumping, dodging obstacles as well as fighting bosses on its way. The greatest feature is that the game provides multiplayer and cooperative gameplay, starting with Sonic the Hedgehog 2. With time, sonic games have come up with a split-screen competitive mode which comprises a race between two online players.
On its 30th Anniversary, the game was celebrated quite well. The logo for celebration as well as merchandise was revealed, back in september 2020. There was also a video published with the title “Unstoppable”.
Various games were celebrated in the following ways :-
- Sonic Dash was celebrated by introducing a Captain shadow and Pirate sonic.
- Sonic Forces: Speed battle had a super sonic event.
- The game Minecraft also featured a Sonic DLC.
- Sonic Racing was updated with Classic Sonic and the Green Hill Zone event.
- An announcement was made on the release of a new Sonic game in 2022.
There were several Merchandise that are getting released as a sign of celebration. These are as follows :-
- Vinyl figures made by Funko
- New toys introduced by Jakks Pacific.
- A Set of Jewellery featuring Sonic by King Ice.
- Decorated energy drinks introduced by G Fuel.
- Personal care products by Corsair.
- Posters designed by Pyramid America.
- Home products that were decorated by Character World.
Several comics are also being released namely :-
- Sonic the Hedgehog 30th anniversary special.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 30th anniversary celebration along with a deluxe edition.
An animation, Sonic colors: Rise of the wisps has also been released along with a video on the 30th Anniversary Symphony.