Square Enix during a stream while celebrating the franchise’s 35th anniversary announced Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate. Though there is no announcement regarding its release date, Square Enix did note that it is aiming to simultaneously release it worldwide.
- Square Enix announced Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate
- The game to include a good amount of player choice
- The game to have more adult experience than previous games.
There is also no confirmation on which platforms it is heading for. This is going to be the first entry in the main Dragon Quest series since Dragon Quest XI released in 2017. Dragon Quest XI became a hit, selling over 6 million copies on several platforms, including Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.
The stream noted that the game is going to include a good amount of player choice, which may make it stand out from Dragon Quest XI’s more linear storytelling. It is also going to feature a revamped battle system.
Yuji Horii series creator said through a translator “Not getting rid of commands”
“It’s going to be interesting.”
In 1986,The first Dragon Quest got debuted predating even the original Final Fantasy. It became the father of the Japanese RPG genre, and its sequels have stayed true to basic JRPG fundamentals like turn-based combat and world maps.
Dragon Quest is more popular in Japan than in the U.S., but Dragon Quest XI attracted a lot of new fans because of its strong critical reception and wide availability across multiple platforms. Dragon Quest XII is also expected to build off of that momentum.
Square Enix announced six titles in Dragon Quest games, including the next major game in the series: Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate, in a livestream celebrating 35 years of Dragon Games.
We didn’t see anything about the game other than its fiery logo, however, the stream mentioned that this game will have more adult experience than previous games. They also mentioned that the game is going to have an updated battle system, but didn’t mention any specifics.
Square Enix announced about five more new Dragon Quest titles:
- Dragon Quest Treasures is a treasure-hunting RPG that will have characters from Dragon Quest XI
- A remake of Dragon Quest III in a similar “HD-2D” visual style to Square Enix’s Octopath Traveler
- The next major expansion to Dragon Quest X, the Japan-only MMO
- Dragon Quest X Offline is a top-down version of X that works without an internet connection
- Dragon Quest Keshikeshi is a mobile puzzle game